My Photo
Name:
Location: Viljandi, Estonia

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Marta Needs a Sibling

I don't like accepting it, but the reality is that I am an adult. I can't jump up and down on the bed because I'll hit my head on the ceiling. I can't do a roll and tumble on the floor because I'll most likely sprain something or knock over some furniture. And my crayon abilities are limited to drawing exotic-looking fish. I can play "Old MacDonald" on guitar, and I'm a fairly good playmate - but I'm a substitute for a real playmate for my daughter. I can dance to "Zoe's Dance Moves" - but I have a hard time getting into it.

There's the big empty crater in our family life - where Epp wants to sort laundry and I have to work and Marta desperately wants a playmate, and I have been led to believe that somehow having two Martas, or rather a Marta and an Anna, or a Marta and a _______ ( a male name has not been agreed upon) could fill it.

I wonder if this thinking is flawed though. Will adding a family member naturally mean that my two children will cooperate? Perhaps they'll hate each other and each one will approach me individually and beg me to draw this or dance over there or catch the ball. Plus I like the really close relationship I have with Marta, and with my life as it is, it seems like it could be difficult to include a whole other human being's life and interests in my jam-packed lifestyle.

But I am sure many childless couples have had similar thoughts: "If we have a child, I won't be able to see Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan in the movie theater" they think. Silly barren adults - that's what Netflix is for!

And so the desire to expand the Petrone franchise also comes with it the requisite doubt about my abilities as a father to "rustle in the dough so the scenery is healthy where her eyes lay" - as Posdnuous, the De La Soul rapper puts it in their song "I am: I be." Good thing life has a way of making those decisions for us.

All hail biology!

14 Comments:

Blogger Eppppp said...

Male name - right now I would vote for Martin.
My great grandfather who was in the Estonian independence war.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Martasmimi said...

......Marty Petrone?

......Marta & Marty????

......Marda & Mardy ????

Just a reality check here?
People speak so poorly.. that is the problem not the name...

11:29 AM  
Blogger L said...

I love the name Martin in Estonian but I can't stand it in English :) How about Oskar? :)

1:03 PM  
Blogger Giustino said...

......Marty Petrone?

......Marta & Marty????

......Marda & Mardy ????


If you can get them to even say the letter 'r' !

Every name has bad things about it. I get mail almost every day at work addressed to someone named Justine. Even from people who have spoken with me on the phone and heard my deep masculine voice.

And one person's private favorite is another person's most hated.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Giustino said...

How about Oskar? :)

We've decided to limit our names to family names for the sake of making things easy. Yet even that is hard.

Plus there are lots of names that don't work in both countries. On my side there's John, Jerry, Frank, Fred, Sam, Domenic, Vincent, Michael, Tom, and lot's of Roberts and Josephs.

On Epp's side there's Andres, Eerik, Johannes, Peeter, Karl, Aleksander, Mihkel, and Martin. Then there are the "fun" names like Enn, Vello, and Priit.

So as you can see, there's not much to choose from. I personally like Fred because it's a cool old name, but I am sure everyone else in America will hate it and tell me to name my child Jayden or Hayden or Kayden and everyone in Estonia will tell me to name my kid Margus or Andrus.

The bottomline - you can only please yourself. And make sure you don't name your child Jake or Emily, for these are the most popular names in the United States.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Martasmimi said...

I think that healthy and happy
are perfect names to call a baby...

.... if I am blessed enough to have another grandchild & Marta a sibling, healthy & happy will be wonderful names.

I might have to put tape on my mouth but unless asked those are my favorites..

2:20 PM  
Blogger Eppppp said...

We were discussing it today. New options. Peeter Petrone - after my other greatgrandfather (who was a school director) or Fred Petrone after Justins greatgrandfather (who was a rancher in Canada).

Girl would be easy. Girl would be Anna Margaret. Anna is my greatgrandmother, and Justins granmothers are Anna and Margaret.

One thing for sure, we would use family names like we did with Marta. First name from one family and middle name from other.

Oneday ;)

2:22 PM  
Blogger L said...

Fred wins my vote.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Altair said...

Why can't a boy have two names? This way, you could pick one from both family trees ;) From Estonian history, the combination Karl Robert comes in mind, for instance (both names do appear in your list). Frank Eerik sounds quite good, too.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Eppppp said...

Definitely, everybody would have two names. Everybody has two names in America (first name and middle name).
We were thinking about Fred Martin or Andre Robert...

For some reason, my grandfathers names sound too Scandinavian for our family name. Karl Eerik Petrone?
If I had married Justins half brother ;))), we could have used these names, with his Norwegian family name. ;)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Eppppp said...

PS. Im not expecting a baby.
This is just a little daydreaming post created by my husband ;)

10:11 AM  
Blogger kaie said...

Meelis, Margus, Mart,Mark, Maidu, Mait, Marvin,Magnus,Maur,Mehis.
What about Oliver?

8:04 PM  
Blogger Giustino said...

If I had married Justins half brother ;))), we could have used these names, with his Norwegian family name. ;)

Gross!

What I do want is a kid whose name I can play around with. "Erik" is too set in stone. Too Germanic. But "Fred" can become "Freddie" and "Federico" and (God Forbid) "Fredo."

"Andre" can become "Andino" which can then become "Dino." And I think I'd feel pretty cool at a playground screaming out "Dino! Get down from there!" Likewise, he can be styled "Dre," should he turn to hip hop to make a living.

Just the idea of it makes me laugh.

10:25 AM  
Blogger marta said...

Being an only child is actually quite nice. There aren't any complexes, entitlement issues or anything of that sort. I like my relationship I have with my parents being an only child.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home